Courtney focuses much of her practice on representing towns, cities, schools, teachers, police departments, police officers, fire fighters and public officials including, but not limited to Town Managers, Town Administrators, as well as members of Select Boards, Zoning Boards and Planning Boards. She is often called upon to defend police departments and officers in in high-profile, complex litigation arising from civil rights, use of force, search and seizure, discrimination and right to arrest matters. She has a thorough understanding of municipal law and the immunities, defenses and caps available to state and federal entities.
Courtney represents employers ranging from international corporations to small business owners in matters arising from wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, and Wage Act and Labor Law violations in state and federal courts and before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights (CHRO). She has defended businesses and individuals in libel, slander, Anti-SLAPP and Whistleblower litigation.
With an extensive knowledge of construction, business and hospitality services, Courtney also handles litigation arising from construction losses, liquor liability, product liability, contract disputes and professional liability matters.
Courtney has amassed an extraordinary record of defense verdicts, dismissals, summary judgment and appellate wins in federal and state courts across Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- Regis College, B.A.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Executive Committee 2021 – 2024
- Worcester County Bar Association, President-Elect 2021 – 2022
- Worcester County Bar Association, Executive Committee 2019 – present
- Worcester County Bar Association, President 2022 – 2023
- Massachusetts Fire Training Council 2022 – 2024
- Jury Finds for Insurer in Case of First Impression Involving Death of Policyholder
- Appeals Court Affirms Summary Judgment for Police Department in Wrongful Death Claim
- Summary Judgment Granted for Police Department in Invasion of Privacy Claim
- Appeals Court Affirms Dismissal of Wrongful Termination Claim Filed Against Town
- Summary Judgment Granted for Town/ No Wage Act or Civil Rights Violations Found
- First Circuit Court of Appeals Affirms Dismissal of Civil Rights Action
- Summary Judgment Granted in Age Discrimination/Constructive Discharge Suit
- Summary Judgment Granted for Police in False Imprisonment / Civil Rights Action
- MCAD – No Probable Cause Found in Dual Sexual Harassment Claims
- MCAD – No Probable Cause Found in Discrimination / Retaliation Case
- Appeals Court Affirms Defense Verdict in MVA / Verdict Not Against Weight of Evidence
- Dismissal of City in Water Runoff / Property Damage Action
- MCAD – No Probable Cause Found in Age Discrimination Case
- MCAD – No Probable Cause Found in Disability Discrimination Action
- Mayo Obtains Five Wins Before the MCAD over a Six-Month Period
- Employee’s Discrimination and Retaliation Claims Dismissed
- Mayo Obtains Back-to-Back Findings of “No Probable Cause” in MCAD Discrimination Actions
- Summary Judgment Granted in “Lobstergate” Case
- MCAD – No Probable Cause Found in Age Discrimination Action
- Summary Judgment in Head Injury Case – “Borrowed Servant” Doctrine
- Dismissal of Civil Rights / Malicious Prosecution Action Filed Against Town, Police Officers
- EEOC – No Probable Cause Found in Age Discrimination Case
- Motion to Dismiss Granted – False Arrest
- Motion to Dismiss Granted – No Trespass Order
- Wrongful Termination Suit Settled
- Courtney was recognized a “Rising Star” in Massachusetts Super Lawyers in 2007-2010, 2013-2018, and included in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list in 2019-2021.
- Courtney earned the WCBA President’s Award in 2019 and 2021.